I cooked this easy to make recipe yesterday for a nice warm, hearty dinner as I was craving carbs and comfort food and needed filling up! It was relatively quick and easy to make in terms of preparation and fed my Husband and I, so quantities below are for two hungry people or for four people if part of a meal with other courses.
I used gluten free lasagna sheets but if you’re not obliged to eat gluten free you can use normal lasagna.
The recipe is also dairy and nut free (so long as you don’t use almond milk or other nut products).
- 1 butternut squash, cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons rice milk (or other milk alternative such as almond milk, quinoa milk…)
- 3 tablespoons of walnut oil (for anti-inflammatory benefits of the walnut, alternatively olive oil is good too).
- 1 tablespoon of rosemary
- Healthy Béchamel Sauce (click here for recipe)
- 8 sheets of Gluten Free Lasagna
- Place the cubed butternut squash in a roasting tray, drizzle with walnut oil and sprinkle rosemary on top.
- Slowly roast for 20 minutes at 175 degrees or until soft.
- Once roasted, mash the butternut squash and add the seasoning, nutmeg and milk so that you get a smooth paste consistency (or lumpier if you prefer). This will be the filling that goes between the lasagna sheets.
- Pre-cook the lasagna sheets in some boiling water (if required) as per package instructions.
- Assemble the layers in a dish, starting with a layer of Béchamel Sauce, followed by a layer of Butternut Squash mixture, followed by lasagna sheets. If you can get hold of dairy free cheese it may be worth adding but we didn’t and it was fine. Finish off by covering the last layer of lasagna with the Béchamel Sauce. For information we used 8 sheets of gluten free lasagna.
- Cook in oven at approximately 180 degrees Celsius for approximately 45 minutes or until the lasagna sheets are cooked through.